Library (Accelerated Reader)
The Saint Joseph Catholic School Library is an inviting room with pumpkin colored walls, apple green chairs and blue jean colored tables. Painted murals of smiling kids jumping from behind the honey colored book shelves make the Saint Joseph library an inviting space. The book collection has over 7,000 volumes with new books added every year both in the fiction and non-fiction selections.
Catholic School Library Resource
The library is used for the kids reading pleasure with new fiction series like The Red Pyramid for the older readers, to Clifford the Big Red Dog for the younger readers. The non-fiction is used often for research by our many grades.
Multiple St. Joseph Library Activities
The Saint Joseph Catholic School Library is always abuzz with activities.
- Scholastic Book Fair: There is a Scholastic Book Fair in the fall and spring. The students love the week long celebration of literature.
- Every student can have their name on our Wall of Stars! When they have read the appropriate amount of books for their grade level, their name is announced on Friday and the name placed on a star. When they have 100 Accelerated Reader points they are awarded a trophy at Mass in the last weeks of school. Saint Joseph is lucky to have the Accelerated Reader Enterprise system. This system is taken from the internet and comprises the entire Accelerated Reader test library which has over 134,000 tests and new tests are added every two or three weeks. This allows our readers to not only read the classic children's books but the latest published literature.
- Each year more students are on the Wall of Stars. More trophies are given away to students for reaching 100 Accelerated Reader points or more. That is one reason Saint Joseph School is rated in the highest percentile year in and year out on the nationally normed tests that are given every fall.
- Saint Joseph uses the Star Test to help individualize the students reading experience. This test gives the librarian and teacher a reading level for each student. The student and librarian work together to find the best book for the student.
- The library sponsors reading contest through out the year, like reading Olympics or contests sponsored by area colleges.
The Saint Joseph library is used for both pleasure and academic activities every day of the school year. When the teachers, parents and the library work together the kids are winners! The students are always encouraged to grab a good book, sit back and enjoy the read!